This page collects and archives my writings and talks since the 1990s. It includes discussion documents for organisations and political debates; speech notes and talks; academic journal articles and books; short historical and contemporary analyses; notes on some of the workshops I have done with social movements and unions; and a few photos and other ephemera. Also translated stuff. Where the original PDF is available, I will usually include it. It’s a work in progress, with almost 300 entries, reflecting my main areas of interest:
- Neo-liberal restructuring, including state-owned corporations and economic & social policy;
- Trade unions and working class movements: history, politics, struggles, strategies;
- Labour history, including global labour history;
- Alternative development strategies;
- Anarchist & syndicalist, Marxist and left history and theory, including race and the national question.
You can check my Academia.edu page for more materials. I have taught at the universities of Witwatersrand, Kassel, Rhodes, also at the DITSELA Workers Institute, the Global Labour University / ENGAGE, and for the National Union of Metalworkers of SA (NUMSA), the Workers Library and Museum, and the Anti-Privatisation Forum. I am a prize-winning scholar, actively involved in working class movements and popular and union education, with a number of books and edited journal special issues, numerous chapters and academic papers, over 130 short papers and 120 talks.
Bye for now.